Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 XS 1100 G--`breather hole` at bottom of air box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1980 XS 1100 G--`breather hole` at bottom of air box?

Hi everyone, well i`m not so new here anymore so i had better ask another question! My XS is really coming along nicely and when putting the `air box back on yesterday, i mean what else do you do on a Sunday?, i figured what is the point of having an air filter when there is a little hole at the bottom of the `air box` that would allow air to bypass the filter? I appreciate that i am missing the 2 items that fit onto this `little hole` on the outside of the box called a seal No 48 and a cap, cleaner case No 49 on the spares sites . Surely the air would still go through here? ! Anyone got a quick fix on this hole? Whether to put a bolt or a tampon or? Thanks as always
    79 SF

It is supposed to be a little metal cube filter. It is more ment as a drain, you could plug it though.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Air Box Drain

It is intended to drain fuel out in the event one or more of the carbs cannot hold back the fuel through the needle and seats. If you cannot find the OEM parts for it, rather than plug it or leave it open, put some fine steel wool in it or better yet a SS fine mesh.

MP
      1981 XS1100H Venturer
      K&N Air Filter
      ACCT
      Custom Paint by Deitz
      Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
      Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
      Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
      Stebel Nautilus Horn
      EBC Front Rotors
      Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

my screen looks like it's either piece of sponge or a scotch brite, JAT
        Nick

1979 XS11 F,Yamaha fairings w/hard bags, TC's fuse box, K&N air filter

1982 Virago 750 (it's alive!)

1979 XS 11 F, Windjammer IV, Samsonite luggage cases(another rescue)

Comment

It is a drain hole, for fuel or water from condensation or moisture getting sucked in with the air. There is a cap to go over it that basically holds the filter material and the cap itself has a smallish hole in it.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

At Walmart in the home filter supply you can find the white replacement filter material. Cut a thin strip long enough to role it up to the point it is tight and the hole is filtered. You will have enough filter material to last for years. It does not rust and gas does not disolve it. If you completely seal it then its just like asking for a carb float to stick and leak ruining your air filter, oil, and oil filter.
            To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
            1980 G Silverbird
            Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
            1198 Overbore kit
            Grizzly 660 ACCT
            Barnett Clutch Springs
            R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
            122.5 Main Jets
            ACCT Mod
            Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
            Antivibe Bar ends
            Rear trunk add-on
            http://s1184.photobucket.com/albums/z329/viperron1/

Comment

If ya put duct tape over the hole it will seal from crap getting in but liquids would leak out.

Just sayin
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Well, thanks again for all the amazing tips that i get with some problem or other, there`s always a fix it solution from the riders on XS11! appreciate it.
                79 SF

Comment

Air Box

Looks like the cap for the hole is still available via OEM dealer. A piece of Scotch Brite pad is a good choice for the filter material. If you have to buy one, cut a small piece off and you will always find a use for the remainder of the pad.

MP
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer
                  K&N Air Filter
                  ACCT
                  Custom Paint by Deitz
                  Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                  Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                  Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                  Stebel Nautilus Horn
                  EBC Front Rotors
                  Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

I am thinking that the point being missed here is the fact that air WILL NOT get into the intake from this side of the airbox. If you look at how the air flows there is no intake air that is present here. Take a look at the way the air flows. It does not matter a bit if it is open or some home made filter media is in place as long as it is able to drain and small critters are kept out.
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

When I look at it, the drain is in the filtered air side, since the unfiltered air goes to the INSIDE of the filter. Then through the filter, and into the chamber that has the drain. For that reason, I would find some filter media that is as fine as the filter material in whatever filter you have, since the engine will be sucking air through that drain hole. And make whatever method you use to mount the filter such that engine suction will not pull it through the drain hole, and then into one of the carb throats. That would chage your mixture in a hurry.

CZ

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                        When I look at it, the drain is in the filtered air side, since the unfiltered air goes to the INSIDE of the filter. Then through the filter, and into the chamber that has the drain. For that reason, I would find some filter media that is as fine as the filter material in whatever filter you have, since the engine will be sucking air through that drain hole. And make whatever method you use to mount the filter such that engine suction will not pull it through the drain hole, and then into one of the carb throats. That would chage your mixture in a hurry.

CZ
                        Yes CZ you are absolutely correct. I was wrong. Please disregard my previous post as it has incorrect info.
                        2-79 XS1100 SF
                        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Thanks CZ and Rasputin for battling that one out! This was my point in the beginning as there`s not much point in having an amazing air filter doing its job while there is a silly little drainage hole letting in `****ty` air and defeating the object of clean air! All good at the end of the day and thanks again--J
                          79 SF

Comment

Working...
                          X